Establish a volunteer force of property owners to serve as site stewards for individual areas of the Galena Territory Greenspace.
The main purpose of the Stewardship program is to help preserve or enhance the natural character of the Territory.
1. Protection of Greenspace sites, trees, and special plants.
2. Restoration, where practical, of Greenspace areas.
3. Enhancement of neighborhood environments.
Role of Steward
Stewards will be involved with one or more of the following activities.
- Work with the Greenspace Committee and local experts to develop a site plan for a specific area by gathering information, which may include:
- Identification of intrusion by unwanted, noxious or invasive weeds.
- Identification of large trees such as old Oaks, that are being encroached on by fast growing trees.
- Identification of open prairie areas that are now being invaded by woody plants.
- Identification of high quality or rare plants on the site.
- Identification of any unnatural disturbance, e.g. intrusion by motorized vehicles or cutting of trees.
- Help oversee and/or implement restoration activities. The GTA will provide assistance to stewards by:
- Site visits
- Printed information
- Share experiences with other stewards to improve the program.
If you are interested in more information, please contact the office at 815-777-2000. They will put you in touch with a member of the Greenspace Committee to review your site and its possibilities.